Art by Erika Taguchi-Newton

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Underline Text in Adobe Illustrator

This has always baffled me. Why can't you underline text in Illustrator? Is it hidden somewhere I can't see? Maybe in the new version you can. But since I'm still behind on my updates, I'm not sure.

I found the workaround awhile ago. It is one of the strangest methods I've run across. You have to have Photoshop open. Copy and paste the text into Photoshop document, then you set the text to be underlined, and finally copy and paste the text back into Illustrator. Vi-o-la!

If there's a better way, please let me know!

2 comments:

Denn Rodriguez said...

I have CS4 now, which is the latest (at least for the next few days)... but I have CS2 in my old Mac and CS3 in my PC at work.... anyway. If you open the "character" window and click the little button at the top right it displays a button/link to "show options". That should open the underline option. Let me know if you can't find it. I love illustrator and to help. :) Awesome work by the way!

Erika (Raven Girl) said...

Thank you - Dennise! After all these years, there is way!