Art by Erika Taguchi-Newton

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Transferring Large Drawing

When I was a kid I saw a movie about Michelangelo ("Agony and Ectasy"), where Charlton Heston was transferring a large drawing onto the wall of the Sistine Chapel. He had punctured pinholes through the paper, outlining the drawing, and was rubbing chalk onto it to transfer dots onto the wall. I've never seen anybody do this in real life, probably because projectors are much easier.

Well, I didn't have a projector handy, and I didn't want make a mess on the hood by doing the grid method. I scanned in my original drawing, scaled it up in Photoshop, and printed it out in pieces. I taped the pieces together, then tediously punctured holes, following the lines of the drawing.

WIP - 24hr Lemons car hood

After taping it into position on the hood, I used a soft white chalk and traced the drawing. Then I redrew the sketch on the hood by connecting the dots.

WIP - 24hr Lemons car hood

I can't imagine doing a complicated drawing this way, but for this one it worked out great.

1 comment:

Denn Rodriguez said...

That is the coolest craziest thing ever! Thanks for sharing!