Art by Erika Taguchi-Newton

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Pumpkin Carver - Oils

Pumpkin Carver - Final
Oils - 8x10

I've been working on this painting for about week and half. I'm entering it in a local artist Halloween show at Bear and Bird Boutique in Fort Lauderdale, and need to drop it off tomorrow. I think this is my first piece ever that is going to hang in a public place (other than art school). VERY NERVOUS! To hasten the drying, my friend suggested DampRid. I put a bag of DampRid in a plastic container with the painting after every sitting. It definitely dried faster.

Here's my step-by-step:


Initial sketch
Pumpkin Carver - initial sketch

Final sketch
Pumpkin Carver - final sketch

First sitting
Pumpkin Carver - WIP

Second sitting
Pumpkin Carver - WIP 2

Third sitting
Pumpkin Carver - WIP 3

Final sitting
Pumpkin Carver - WIP 4


Reference

2 comments:

Edrian said...

This turned out quite nice. You should be proud of yourself! I love oils, but don't have the patience to wait for them to dry. Although the water based ones dry much quicker.

Hope you are well!

Erika (Raven Girl) said...

Thanks, lady! I usually take advantage of the drying time to try to plan out my next steps, cuz I tend to rush and make mistakes. But I needed this one to dry fast because of a deadline :) I haven't tried out the water-based ones. I always wonder, if it's water-based isn't it like acrylics (which I hate)?