Art by Erika Taguchi-Newton

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Season of Payne's Gray

I'm a little obsessed with my new favorite color - Payne's Gray. It puts me in a misty, mysterious, magical mood. Last couple of projects looks like they are studies in gray.

Masks - Final
"We Hide in the Forest" is a triptych I really enjoyed doing. Each piece is 6x12, with the background that goes together. I did these for the Small Stuff show at Bear and Bird, but I couldn't part with them just yet. So I got some really nice limited edition canvas giclees done for the show (http://ravengirl.bigcartel.com/product/we-hide-in-the-forest-limited-edition-giclee).

Prints are available here: http://ravengirl.bigcartel.com/product/we-hide-in-the-forest

Whenever I decide to do a series, I usually get bored after the second one. And I can never match up the color or the shading. So this time I decided to paint them all at the same time. What a difference! All came out with same tone and values. I'm very happy about that!

Here's the step-by-step:

Sketch - Masks

WIP - Masks

WIP - Masks

WIP - Masks

Couple of weeks ago I participated in a Harry Potter art show (another awesome Art Nouveau Event!). Not able to decide on what scene or characters, I ended up doing a HP-inspired piece. Another gray piece and an experiment with negative space.

Spell Casting Practice

Prints available here: http://ravengirl.bigcartel.com/product/spell-casting-practice

I didn't take any step-by-step photos, but here are some sketches:

Griffin sketches
Very loose griffin sketches and Hermoine detail sketch that I was playing with. I like the characters when they were younger. Teenage wizards are so annoying!

Griffin sketches
Finalizing the sketch and a layout thumbnail.

On the side note, the Christmas cards are all available on my Etsy site - ravengirl.etsy.com. Thanks!

2 comments:

Looona said...

Beautiful! :)
Really like the style.

♥Looona Lou

Roger said...

Nice art.